DIY Facial Masque

Friday, November 2, 2012

As many of you know as a master aesthetician I love skin care.  Today I took what I know about some of the ingredients in my kitchen and made a guide to making your own DIY facial mask.



Step 1:
Determine your skin type. Are you trying to combat acne? Do you have oily skin? Is your skin damaged from the sun? Is your skin dry & dehydrated?

Step 2:
Select your ingredients. Below is a list of common kitchen ingredients and their benefits.


Apple Cider Vinegar
Antibacterial 
Balances the pH of your skin (unbalanced skin is prone to skin sensitivities such as eczema & rosacea)

Cocoa
Rich in antioxidants which help slow aging of the skin and treat sun damage

Avocado
Rich in vitamins
Moisturizing

Blueberries
Rich in antioxidants
Full of vitamins to encourage healthy skin

Egg whites
Help draw oil from pores
Full of protein to nourish and replenish skin

Lemon
Naturally brightens skin
Lighten sun spots, age spots & hyper pigmentation
*Lemon is very strong and can burn the skin! Only add a couple drops to mixture!*

Oatmeal
Promotes healing
Calming
Anti-inflammatory

Banana
Nourishing & Moisturizing
Binding
Acids help exfoliate skin

Pumpkin
Sloughs off dead skin cells
Stimulates the production of collagen & elastin
Full of vitamins & antioxidants

Yogurt
Moisturizing
Lightens & brightens

Honey
Locks in moisture
Great for sensitive skin
Full of antioxidants to slow aging process

Wheat Germ
Gentle exfoliator
Stimulates growth of skin cells
Helps to minimize uneven skin tone

Tomato
Soothing
Help keep skin free of excessive oil
Full of vitamins & antioxidants to fight fine lines while nourishing skin

*Mix your ingredients together and apply to face after cleaning the skin. Leave on for 10-15 minutes then rinse with water. You can rinse with a cleanser if you can still feel residue. 


*Bonus*
For cracked, dry feet rub them with a mixture of
Baking soda & water
or
Sugar & coconut/olive oil
while you're in the bath or shower

I used cocoa, honey, banana, egg, and lemon for mine. I applied with a paintbrush since it was a little runny. 

Go try it! Let me know what combinations you end up trying and let me know what you think! My skin was so smooth, tight, and luminous afterwards!

16 comments:

  1. omg yes!! i can't wait to try this out!! i loooove facial masks!! thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! :D I need a good facial. It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through Friendly Friday! I'm excited to follow along :)
    http://nerdandhealthnut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Your blog is so cute! Where are you guys going to school? BYU? My husband is a stats nerd too. He was a stats TA at BYU for 5 semesters. I wonder if they know each other!

      Delete
  4. Hello Im a new follower here from the friendly friday blog hop. Nice meeting you.

    http://www.akachymecindy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too! I'm excited to have my first follow living in Finland! I used to babysit for a Finnish family. Such a beautiful language.

      Delete
  5. you are so cute for sharing this!! i think all girls want to learn how to make their skin more beautiful and we don't need all that fancy stuff they can sell on the shelves. sunday morning i will be in the kitchen whipping up something for my face

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so awesome! I love how all of these things are easy to find. I hate it when recipes call for random things you have to go to a specialty store for. Husband and I are definitely having a facial night soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that too! So frustrating. Enjoy your facials! I always have to pin my husband down to give him a facial!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this! With the big 3-0 on the horizon, I've just started really taking care of my skin! I've also started using Yes to Blueberries skin serum. Have you heard of it? I'd love for you guest post on my blog regarding these same remedies! I found you on the Friendly Fridays hop!
    Northern Belle Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard of a lot of the "say yes to" products (Tomato, Carrots, Blueberries etc) and have heard great things about them. I haven't tried any myself though. Shoot me an email with what you're looking for in a guest post and we can come up with some ideas. Looking forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an awesome post! Like really, I have never seen someone go through the benefits of the ingredients and just letting the reader 'pick their ingredients':D I am trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely going to try this!

    And I'm your newest follower. :)
    katelyncarter.com

    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoy it Kate!

    I'll have to check out your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Leave me something nice!